iTOLL is a research project funded by the Basque Government’s Etorgai programme. The total estimated duration of the project is 27 months, from the start date in October 2009 until it ends in December 2010.
The iTOLL project is distributed in three large work phases:
When it comes to analysing the technological goals facing iTOLL, two separate phases will be taken into account when migrating the toll systems. In the first phase, the technological challenges presented by a DSRC and artificial vision toll system will be analysed. In the second, the needs and technological challenges to be faced by iTOLL will be studied, in order to comply with European provisions for interoperable toll systems based on satellite positioning.
MAIN AREAS OF ACTIVITY
Vision and vehicle organisation system
- • Definition of infrastructure and contour conditions.
- • Define the data Communication module for images and DSRC readers, which will be transmitted to the management centre.
- • Develop algorithms for analysing the images.
- • Define the communications module between the infrastructure and management centre.
- • Define the interfaces for inter-tolerability with wireless models.
Integral toll management system (Control Center)
- • Design the information storage system (database).
- • Design the system for analysing and classifying images, and the documentary management system.
- • Design the toll collection management system and the introduction of the electronic payment module and payment corridor.
- • Definition of the management module to provide users with real-time information.
- • Provide real-time information about tariffs. It will also serve to inform users of the road configuration status.
- • Design interfaces to operate with future information applications (general information, traffic alerts, recommended routes/flow, etc).